Rhonda Cook at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported last night that 13 people have been shortlisted for consideration by Gov. Nathan Deal for three open slots on the Georgia Supreme Court. Two of the three seats were newly created by the passing of House Bill 927 during the 2016 General Assembly session. The third seat is being vacated by the retiring Chief Justice Hugh P. Thompson.
A press release lists the 13 names below that were chosen by the Judicial Nominating Committee from among 130 applicants.
- Charlie Bethel – Senator, Georgia State Senate (R, District 54)
- Michael P. Boggs – Judge, Georgia Court of Appeals
- Elizabeth L. (Lisa) Branch – Judge, Georgia Court of Appeals
- John J. Ellington – Presiding Judge, Georgia Court of Appeals
- Stephen S. Goss – Judge, Dougherty Judicial Circuit
- Britt Grant – Solicitor General, Office of Attorney General
- Carla Wong McMillian – Judge, Georgia Court of Appeals
- M. Yvette Miller – Presiding Judge, Georgia Court of Appeals
- Nels S.D. Peterson – Judge, Georgia Court of Appeals
- William M. (Billy) Ray, II – Judge, Georgia Court of Appeals
- Eric Richardson – Judge, Fulton County State Court
- Lawton E. Stephens – Judge, Western Judicial Circuit
- Paige Reese Whitaker – Deputy District Attorney, Fulton County District Attorney’s Office