December 23, 2020 12:02 PM
Good afternoon… or is it? Nah, of course it is. We’re upright and breathing, and sometimes that’s what counts.
Today is Festivus, though, so… “I got a lot of problems with you people, and now you’re going to hear about it!” The airing of grievances shall commence. Here are a few of mine:
- People who hate facts, science, and learning. “Alternative facts” are opinions.
- People who purposefully stir up the clueless and hapless among us. It takes some gall to take all of their hurt and anger (much of it legitimate) and direct it toward people who are just doing their jobs and trying to make the system work.
- The cost of health care in this country… even for your pets. I should not need to spend more on getting teeth for an animal pulled than I do on rent. The majority of that bill was on the cost of the medicine administered, for the record.
- 2020 in general. Need I explain that one? No? I didn’t think so! Good riddance to this terrible year.
I can’t let that be the last sentence I say the week of Christmas, so I do absolutely wish all of you the happiest of holidays, whichever one you celebrate!
Now, let’s get on to the news:
- Congress agreed to a stimulus package, which passed both Houses yesterday. Here’s an overview of what’s in it.
- Of course, President Trump – who had not been involved in any of the negotiations – decided he didn’t like it, and is threatening to veto.
- Democrats were quick to take him up on his demand for $2,000 stimulus checks to individuals. (Alternate link.)
- In case you’ve heard that Republicans are plotting to take a final stand against the election results, but aren’t quite sure what’s going on, here’s a good explainer.
- It’s pardon season for a lame duck president.