February 12, 2020 6:00 AM
Good morning, and happy Georgia Day! Today, our state (and, previously, the colony) is 287 years old. On February 12, 1733, James Oglethorpe landed the Anne at Yamacraw Bluff on the southern bank of the Savannah River, thus founding the colony.
And now, the news:
- New Hampshire Democrats reiterated their 2016 choice by choosing Bernie Sanders for their 2020 primary, too.
- The D.C. statehood bill is going to be considered on the House floor, and it’s expected to pass for the first time in history. It will not pass the Senate.
- Andrew Yang has ended his presidential bid. So did Michael Bennet.
- Four prosecutors quit after the Justice Department lowered the recommended prison time for Roger Stone.
- A former governor of Iowa has won $150,000 from a Powerball jackpot.
- Residents of an apartment complex in Kerala, India were surprised to find a mix of beer, brandy, and rum flowing from their taps this week. No, it was not fit to drink.
- A silver fox broke into the British parliament building last week and had quite the adventure, including riding the escalator.