Morning Reads for National Cake Day (November 26)

Good morning, and happy National Cake Day! It’s weird this annual observance falls around Thanksgiving, which notably has its staple pies, but not cakes, isn’t it? Well, be that as it may, I’ll share a few of my favorite cakes in honor of the day:

1. Red (Wine) Velvet Cake from Bravetart by Stella Parks
  2. Robert E. Lee Bundt Cake from Southern Living, November 2012
  3. Spiced Apple Pound Cake from Handmade Gatherings by Ashley English
  4. Lemon Layer Cake from Sweet & Southern by Ben Mims
  5. White Cake with Cranberry Filling and Orange Buttercream from Southern Living, December 2014
  6. Six-Layer Chocolate Cake with Toasted Marshmallow Filling and Malted Chocolate Frosting, Brown-Eyed Baker blog

My mother will undoubtedly be celebrating the day with #3 on that list, as I made it for her this past weekend. Share your favorites below!

And now, the news:

Pat Conroy

Alice Walker

• A judge has ruled that Don McGahn must testify before impeachment investigators in Congress about President Trump’s efforts to obstruct the Mueller investigation. The Department of Justice plans to appeal.
  • Federal prosecutors have subpoenaed Rudy Giuliani’s consulting records.
  • Congress may not see Trump’s tax returns for now, says the Supreme Court. However, the president must file his opening brief by December 5th, so we haven’t heard the end of this case.
  • Betsey DeVos aims to ensure we protect those accused of sexual assault on campus from those they’ve attacked.
  • Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere are at an all time high.
  • Pro-democracy candidates won in an unprecedented landslide in last Sunday’s election in Hong Kong. Beijing did not take it well.
  • A leaked report says that China now controls the Philippines’ power grid and can shut off access at any time.
  • A gang of thieves stole millions of dollars in diamonds from Dresden Castle yesterday morning.

Flannery O’Connor

6 months ago

I noticed Little’s lack of educational background too. Of course, the other main criterion for BoRs is to be a captain of industry who can generate serious campaign donations. Since I can’t believe that working as a senior paralegal for anyone pays serious money, either Little has an established fund-raising network or she married very well or she inherited a ton.

Some of you know so how about sharing?

6 months ago

I’m waiting for the happy day when recipes can interface with 3-D printing to put quality food on my table. Cakes would be a good place to start.

Mr. Bear
Mr. Bear
6 months ago
Reply to  xdog

You may, or may not, be old enough to remember the first Star Trek TV series where the crew would get their meals when a door would slide up and there would be a tray meal. With that in mind, today we are experimenting with 3-D printed food, notably fancy deserts and candies. And, there’s a vegetarian Chinese restaurant on Buford Highway where the “meat” looks and tastes like meat. So, we’re not that far away.

6 months ago
Reply to  Mr. Bear

I’m sure you remember “Soylent Green”, a movie of approximately the same time set in 2022 in NYC in a “dystopian future of dying oceans and year-round humidity due to the greenhouse effect, resulting in suffering from pollution, poverty, overpopulation, euthanasia and depleted resources” and a mystery about the new food of the day.

6 months ago

I LOVE to bake. Irish Apple Cake (I use Jamison in the custard glaze) https://www.thekitchenmccabe.com/2014/03/07/irish-apple-cake-with-custard-sauce/ Poppy Seed Cake (I use almond extract in the frosting) http://pastrystudio.blogspot.com/2009/01/poppy-seed-cake-with-mascarpone-cream.html Chiffon Poppy seed cake ,if you want a less dense version https://www.artandthekitchen.com/chiffon-poppy-seed-cake/ German Apricot cheese cake http://www.mybestgermanrecipes.com/german-apricot-cheese-cake/ Plum Cake https://www.daringgourmet.com/zwetschgenkuchen-zwetschgendatschi-german-plum-cake/ And my dad’s favorite (this is close to the one my great great grandmother past down) http://mygerman.recipes/german-hazelnut-cake-nusskuchen/ My mom’s favorite is a Brown Eyed Susan with a marshmallow cream top that had a caramel glaze over it. It’s a very reginal style from south central Wisconsin.

6 months ago
6 months ago

Any reason my post on cakes is still awaiting moderation?

Lawton Sack
Admin
Lawton Sack
6 months ago
Reply to  Ellynn

It is up now. Any post with more than 3 links is held in moderation. I unfortunately did not receive a notification that it was in moderation, but I saw your comment a few minutes ago.

6 months ago
Reply to  Lawton Sack

I was told at one point it was six. I will plan better in the future. Thanks Lawton!!!

6 months ago

There’s no surprise Trump wants Kemp to appoint a conservative rural Trumpster white guy instead of a moderate suburban woman to Isakson’s seat. The think is, Republicans are fast losing women and particularly suburban women. Trump and his supporters are banking on increasing Senate and Electoral College misrepresentation to maintain power. Kemp meanwhile is in office on 50,000 votes cast before Trump was exposed as an extortionist. It’s not going to be pretty when it ends, whenever that happens. And while we wait, nobody and their jobs are moving to the sticks. Establishment Republicans figure it will return to the… Read more »