November 26, 2019 8:00 AM
Good morning, and happy National Cake Day! It’s weird this annual observance falls around Thanksgiving, which notably has its staple pies, but not cakes, isn’t it? Well, be that as it may, I’ll share a few of my favorite cakes in honor of the day:
- Red (Wine) Velvet Cake from Bravetart by Stella Parks
- Robert E. Lee Bundt Cake from Southern Living, November 2012
- Spiced Apple Pound Cake from Handmade Gatherings by Ashley English
- Lemon Layer Cake from Sweet & Southern by Ben Mims
- White Cake with Cranberry Filling and Orange Buttercream from Southern Living, December 2014
- Six-Layer Chocolate Cake with Toasted Marshmallow Filling and Malted Chocolate Frosting, Brown-Eyed Baker blog
My mother will undoubtedly be celebrating the day with #3 on that list, as I made it for her this past weekend. Share your favorites below!
And now, the news:
- A judge has ruled that Don McGahn must testify before impeachment investigators in Congress about President Trump’s efforts to obstruct the Mueller investigation. The Department of Justice plans to appeal.
- Federal prosecutors have subpoenaed Rudy Giuliani’s consulting records.
- Congress may not see Trump’s tax returns for now, says the Supreme Court. However, the president must file his opening brief by December 5th, so we haven’t heard the end of this case.
- Betsey DeVos aims to ensure we protect those accused of sexual assault on campus from those they’ve attacked.
- Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere are at an all time high.
- Pro-democracy candidates won in an unprecedented landslide in last Sunday’s election in Hong Kong. Beijing did not take it well.
- A leaked report says that China now controls the Philippines’ power grid and can shut off access at any time.
- A gang of thieves stole millions of dollars in diamonds from Dresden Castle yesterday morning.