Morning Reads for Christmas Day, 2018

Good morning, and Merry Christmas! Alternately, Happy Tuesday! I hope however you celebrate, whether it’s with family, at the movies, sidled up to your favorite bar, or enjoying a little peace and quiet, you have a wonderful day. This is a difficult time of year for many people, and if you are one of them, please know that you are loved, and I am glad you are here.

(Confidential to anyone who had to stuff their own stocking: you are doing a great job, Mama.)

8
Leave a Reply

Please Login to comment
4 Comment threads
4 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
5 Comment authors
bethebalancechefdaviddownthemiddleEllynnWill Durant Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
newest oldest most voted
Notify of
Will Durant
Will Durant

Only kids could get into the early version of the Pink Pig that originally circumvented Rich’s toy department. Just like the scene in A Christmas Story mom and dad could ditch the kids in the toy department safely and their was even a Santa’s workshop where the minders could help the kids select a gift for the parents and get them wrapped. Unless my memory or the trips were intermittent I think the pig was only on the rooftop one year when they also had real reindeer on the roof. This was a marketing nightmare compared to the previous arrangement.… Read more »

Ellynn
Ellynn

It’s the 6th day… I survived an interesting Christmas eve with mom’s side of the family – where I am classified as the soulless big city progressive follower of east coast liberal values (bet a few of you didn’t know you lived in a hub of east coast liberal values). Had an interesting Christmas day with dad’s side of the family – where I am classified as the globalist anti unionist conservative hack who is being turned in to a never trumpster republican with red state values.

And people wonder why I drink…

downthemiddle
downthemiddle

Ellynn, so to hear that. Sounds like you get it from both ends. Seems to me that if you let those facts be known, they might be more supportive. I am glad my family on both sides don’t take politics to the level of ruining family holidays or friendships— but I know there are plenty that do. It’s too bad that any folks would take politics so seriously that it jeopardizes friendships. I have found that that many liberals, but certainly not all, take politics so seriously that it almost takes the place of religion. The intolerance is overwhelming. Trump… Read more »

Ellynn
Ellynn

First off, you really need to get a better understanding of sarcasm. We don’t let politics get in the way of family. I don’t take any of their ribbing seriously (except my siblings) and it’s not personal. At times we all get a really good laugh out of it all. What I find interesting is the youngest of the voting age family are the most unbending, no grey allowed on both sides of a subject. If you read my comment on Charlie’s weekly post, one of the young one showed up in a flag/kneeing T-shirt. It was meant to tick… Read more »

bethebalance
bethebalance

The function between age and mental flexibility is an odd one. Probably parabolic, with inflexibility highest in the youngest and oldest years. You could even be inflexibly liberal when 20, then inflexibly conservative when 80.
Personally, I never lived outside the grey area.
Reality is 98% grey to some degree or other, regardless of how ppl feel. And the remaining 2% is overcrowded.

Ellynn
Ellynn

I think it is how the under 25 crowd gather and process information. It’s 30 second sound bites with limited facts and interactions with opinions in 6 word mime’. They don’t need to cooperate or talk about ideas beyond their zone of friends with similar points of view. They only see the importance of what ‘they’ think is important. Example, the sibling of t-shirt boy can recite the entire second amendment to me at 20 but has no idea what the 4th or the 10th is. To him, they don’t effect his day to day life of working as a… Read more »

chefdavid
chefdavid