John McCain: The Man in the Arena

John McCain stood up for what he thought was right no matter the consequences. It takes strength to battle with political opponents but real courage to tell a friend or usual ally that they are wrong. We don’t see that enough in our public servants but John McCain exemplified Theodore Roosevelt’s Man in the Arena as well as any person I have known in my lifetime.

So Rest In Peace, Senator, and may the Peace of Lord be with your family and friends — and the nation you served so well in times of war and peace — during this time of mourning and remembrance.

1 year ago

Charlie beat you temporally, but these too are fitting words.

1 year ago

I greatly appreciate McCain’s lines about the dangers of confused patriotism. “Blood and soil” is pretty damn explicit. You might even call it straight talk. I’m grateful again, Senator.

downthemiddle
downthemiddle
1 year ago

Were the democrats saying these nice things about McCain when he was running against Obama?

I don’t remember that but could be wrong. Seems like he was a hateful racist…like everyone else at election time. John Lewis sure skewered him. But that is what John Lewis says about everyone that is not a democrat.

He did live a full like and was a patriot.

Caroline
Caroline
1 year ago
Reply to  downthemiddle

Can you be positive one day out of the year? Apparently not.

downthemiddle
downthemiddle
1 year ago
Reply to  Caroline

Andrew I am about to hurt myself laughing at you this morning. Here I was minding my own business, reading the sports page, thankful to be alive in the freest country on earth and enjoying the baby Braves fine season… I figured I would tune in to the Georgia Pol for the latest liberal hatefest for my daily laugh! Lo and behold….you hit it out of the park! There you are…right on cue! Fire a blazin’! So now you are the self proclaimed Mr. Superiority ! I think that is the PERFECT name for you. Self given and not from… Read more »

bethebalance
bethebalance
1 year ago
Reply to  downthemiddle

A couple of things: 1) People change, or reveal difference characteristics, in different times and circumstances. I.e., a candidate in the middle of an election cycle may take different stands, and may make certain remarks, that are peculiar to that circumstance. The positions may be justified or not, or later regretted, or not. As the Teddy Roosevelt quote testifies- no effort is without shortcoming, and we shouldn’t expect perfection or 100% consistency or anything unchanging at all. So, try just rolling with the changing times or something. 2) Even the most bitter adversaries in the arena can hold the highest… Read more »

1 year ago

An inspiring closing remark. Arguably among the most inspiring of the century.

downthemiddle
downthemiddle
1 year ago

McCain was a little more inspiring that Andrew this morning. RIP.