Monday Morning Reads – April 16

Happy Monday, everyone! Today’s Morning Reads are late in honor of Ed’s birthday.

News By The Numbers

2020 elections – Let’s get through 2018 before we talk 2020, right? Wrong. A commission will study our election systems and make recommendations on how to revamp it.

105 missiles – Allied forces dropped a total of 105 missiles on chemical weapons facilities last week. Now Russia says another attack will create “chaos”

.001 percent chance – Okay, I made up that number, but it seems to fit. I mean, how many people can claim to be hated by both the Trump AND Obama administrations? Comey!

$90 million – Tom Steyer is in Atlanta today drumming up support for impeachment. He is the Democrats’ largest donor, so the looming question: Will he get involved in Georgia’s races?

58-page report – Senator David Shafer was exonerated of sexual harrasement last week. I never thought it sounded like him and wow I was correct.

chamblee54
chamblee54
2 years ago

29 people were killed in the United States last week. https://chamblee54.wordpress.com/2018/04/15/killed-by-police-april-15/

Mr. Bear
Mr. Bear
2 years ago

After hearing a radio advert this morning for a gubernatorial candidate, I now realize that I have been wrong about one of the candidates. Apparently, the name which appears on his birth certificate is “Conservative Casey Cagle” rather than just Casey Cagle. The ad mentioned his full name at least ten times, presumably that I might get the idea that he is a conservative.

Will Durant
Will Durant
Reply to  Mr. Bear

For the purposes of the Republican Primary they all think they have to claim they are to the right of Attila the Hun. They usually try to out Bible the other candidates at this stage as well though it appears this year it maybe lean more to out gunning.

Mr. Bear
Mr. Bear
Reply to  Mr. Bear

I can just see an angry Mama Cagle, standing at the bottom of the stairs, hands on her hips, yelling up to his bedroom: “Conservative Casey Cagle, you come down here right now young man”.

Sean Hannity?!?
This is way beyond some made-up reality TV. It’s just too much. Over the top.

2 years ago

If there is no signed agreement, hours billed or exchange of money, is Hannity technically a client?

“Michael Cohen has never represented me in any matter. I never retained him, received an invoice, or paid legal fees. I have occasionally had brief discussions with him about legal questions about which I wanted his input and perspective. … I assumed those conversations were confidential, but to be absolutely clear they never involved any matter between me and a third-party.” Sean Hannity via Twitter

Noway2016
Noway2016
Reply to  Ellynn

To Ellynn ‘s point, doesn’t there have to be monitory “consideration” to establish the confidentiality shield? Even if it’s just a dollar?

Reply to  Ellynn

I’m thinking these two have not thought out their positions very well.

bethebalance
bethebalance
Reply to  Ellynn

I’m trying to think of any legal matter that doesn’t involve any third party, because they all would at some point, even if that party is not identified when advice was sought. He probably just meant that it didn’t involve any pay-offs to third-party women, or was it that there wasn’t a Yet-Existing matter with any third party…

Noway2016
Noway2016
2 years ago

Is there a hint of scandal, at this point, about the subject matter discussed between Hannity and Cohen?

Noway2016
Noway2016
Reply to  Noway2016

So, you’re thinking where there is “scandal” smoke, Sean is in that type of mix, too? He certainly sounded calm when discussing it.

Noway2016
Noway2016
Reply to  Noway2016

My non lawyer brain is thinking the fruits of this private lawyet raid will be overturned on appeal. I believe the attorney/client shield will be eventually upheld.

Will Durant
Will Durant
2 years ago

$135 million. The cost of the US fired missiles alone in the latest Syrian gesture. Friday night was just another unconstitutional bit of dog wagging.

Reply to  Will Durant

It’s a jobs program. Need more missiles now.