Mayor Reed Will Lose this Election for Himself

Yes, Kasim Reed is term-limited but let’s be honest: His hand-picked candidate, Keisha Lance Bottoms, will be Mayor Reed the Second if she is elected.

And right now I doubt she will*.

The slew of endorsements for Mary Norwood from virtually every one of her erstwhile opponents and Mayor Shirley Franklin are stunning–for their anti-Reed sentiment and the radical change in opinion on Norwood.

That leaves only two serious candidates: Kwanza Hall, who endorsed Bottoms, and Vincent Fort. Reed said Fort would be “a disaster” as mayor. The “Bernie-Sanders-style-Democrat” is probably not going to endorse the Republican, methinks.

Yeah.

That’s a stunning record from someone who believed every skirmish needed to end in him scattering the ashes of his opponent no matter how minor the perceived slight. And even more shocking when he started his time in office highlighting his ability to work with Republicans to get stuff done.

It’s really quite a shame. Mayor Reed qua mayor is excellent.

But Mayor Reed qua politician is horrifically bad.

If Mary Norwood wins next Tuesday, Reed will only have himself and his lack of allies to blame.

*I’m voting for Bottoms but only so that a GSU grad can run City Hall.

2 years ago

“That’s a stunning record from someone who believed every skirmish needed to end in him scattering the ashes of his opponent no matter how minor the perceived slight.”

A tinge of a Donald characteristic perchance?

MattMD_actual
MattMD_actual
2 years ago

Reed as a person is dreadful (petty and vindictive) and I won’t miss having to read about his insecurities on display.

Whatsben
Whatsben
2 years ago

I wish you were right, but I know Keisha is going to turn out her voters and people aren’t voting for Mary because they like her, which always makes Turnout more difficult. I also don’t know how aware voters are of these endorsements.

Gregs
Gregs
2 years ago

If KLB loses this election, and I’m not so sure about that, Reed is to blame but for a different reason. The Mayor presided over the massive gentrification and displacement of his constituents. He is largely responsible for MAWA (Making Atlanta White Again). I don’t say this as a pejorative but as an observation. Reed barely won in 2009 and he then proceeded to hasten the exit of many of his natural base of voters. He catered to the likes of Arthur Blank, Tyler Perry, Tony Ressler and a select few vendor/donor types and pretty much ignored his base of… Read more »

Lea Thrace
Lea Thrace
Reply to  Gregs

I acgree completely with your assessment of Reeds tenure. And unfortunately neither KLB or MN are going to improve the trajectory of that traditional Atlanta constituency.

Glad I dont live in the city limits to have to make the decision between these two.

Gregs
Gregs
Reply to  Lea Thrace

Reed could have been a transformational figure. He came in at the bottom of the recession and knew that things were only going to get better. He “decided” to ride the wave and ignore his natural base who have been loyal and elected one mayor after another from Jackson to Reed. His focus was on moneyed interests and he largely failed to do anything that would cement a positive legacy for him. Two stadiums? Selling city assets? Closing homeless shelters with nothing in place to replace them? Another corruptions scandal? And…he may finally destroy the political machine that iconic Mayor… Read more »

Reply to  Gregs

I originally started to write a rebuttal this, but the more I wrote the more I began to agree that this might be a significant factor.
I would like to see some demographics of this “massive gentrification” though. Not sure if it’s massive enough to turn the election, and even if it is massive, millennials aren’t voting much so that could be a big loss for whoever they were going to vote for.

Gregs
Gregs
Reply to  Gregs

Thank you Gregs. Interesting stuff.

Trey A.
Trey A.
2 years ago

No. So, long as you vote for Felicia.

2 years ago

I think this election is a good example of how Ranked Choice Voting is helpful. I think many people try to vote strategically in an election like this. If you like, say, John Eaves, but he’s doing poorly in the polls, you might choose to vote for one of the top two or three in the polls so that you don’t waste your vote. But in RCV, there are no wasted votes. Every votes counts. If your first choice is eliminated, your second choice is counted, etc., until someone gets 50%+1. With RCV, you can vote your conscience as your… Read more »

2 years ago

I’ve communicated the latter to some of my Democratic party representation.

2 years ago

As to Reed the Second, Bottoms may well be her person as Mayor. But it’s no sure thing and the opportunity certainly would not have occurred without Reed’s backing.