Skip to content
Morning Reads for Tuesday, March 8, 2016
- Added at 8:08 AM – Remember the tiny WalMart that used to be over by Georgia Tech? It closed last summer – and this morning, Tech announced that Amazon Student will now occupy that space. This also marks the first Amazon pickup location in Georgia. Here’s to hoping that Amazon capitalizes on all those Tech smarties to get drone delivery going in Georgia (just not near the Capitol).
- Don’t hassle the Hoff, Tybee Island!
- There’s only one conclusion to draw from this kerfuffle: David Hasslehoff joined the Baywatch movie’s cast last week. The Germans love the Hoff. The Germans also love Syrian refugees. Thus, one can only conclude that Tybee Island is on its way to being a sanctuary city. Quick! Someone tell the Georgia Senate! (h/t Charlie)
- HB 370 passed the Senate yesterday, which is a win for local politicians across Georgia who were obliged to deal with the Ethics Commission’s hot mess of an online filing system between 2010 and 2014.
- Election conflict in Macon-Bibb: move local elections to November’s election day, when turnout is highest, or keep their elections in May?
- Per the Gallup well-being index, Columbus is miserable.
- The AJC opinion page offers differing takes on religious liberty.
- The Conyers police department received their City Council okay to purchase riot gear.
- What exactly is Google Fiber? Find out at the 17-minute mark of last Thursday’s A Closer Look.
- GenX and Hillary Clinton.
- Can the Electoral College save us from Trump?
- Nebraska tried to buy illegal drugs online to use for executions. The state’s drug deal went bad, and they want their money back. Alternate headline: “The Cornsilk Road.”
- Tomorrow’s total eclipse of the sun will end today, because time is a flat circle.
- When you’re shopping online, an item’s “list price” is basically meaningless.
- The Cosby Show is off the air. One show alum surmises why Woody Allen and Roman Polanski’s films are still celebrated.
- …which is a clumsy segue to This Week in Hamilton. It’s the Hamilton Mixtape!