Morning Reads – Thursday, March 3, 2016

On this date in 1812, Congress passed the first foreign aid bill. So basically, we started screwing up early.

Peaches

Jimmy Carter

Sweet Tea

Liberty Drum

Calypso
Calypso
4 years ago

“When you use waterboarding tactics at home…”

Sounds like someone needs to take ol’ Dylan VanCamp out behind the woodshed…and not come back with him.

Will Durant
Will Durant
Reply to  Calypso

According to Dick Cheney waterboarding is just “an enhanced interrogation technique”.

4 years ago

I’m surprised there’s no mention that Ben Carson ended his extended book tour.

He’ll still speak at CPAC this week along with the candidates still in the race and other goper worthies. Any chance of GeorgiaPol reports?

John Vestal
John Vestal
Reply to  xdog

Sounds like a job for the interns.

MikeSilver
MikeSilver
4 years ago

I attended the HB859 hearing and it was an adventure. Its a shame Senate Hearings aren’t video taped because if Georgia heard the descriptions of our students and the childish temper tantrums from the university staff, they’d demand the University System be shut down. Chancellor Huckaby read his statement and didn’t provide any additional comments. You’ll likely see that written statement release soon. Interestingly, his name was at the top of the speaker list BEFORE the rest of us rif-raf got a chance to sign up. That suggests, he’s lobbying the Senate to not support this (no surprise) About 10%… Read more »

The Eiger (aka the NEOCON Hack)
The Eiger (aka the NEOCON Hack)
4 years ago

I’m going to make a very bold prediction. If it happens then you heard it from me. If it doesn’t then I never said it. Mitt is going to run as a third party candidate. He won’t announce today, but he will spend the next two to three weeks bashing Trump and Hillary on all of the news outlets. All the while raising money to get on the ballot in all 50 states. If he wants to do this he has to start in the next few weeks. No one gets enough electoral votes in November and for the first… Read more »

CoastalCat
CoastalCat
4 years ago

The expert opinions of faculty and professors who deal with students each and every day should not be so easily discounted. All guns everywhere is fine with me as long as the Georgia legislature includes itself first.

gcp
gcp
4 years ago
The Eiger (aka the NEOCON Hack)
The Eiger (aka the NEOCON Hack)
Reply to  gcp

I guess I will be giving money to Doug. I may even go knock on doors to help him out. Broun is another one of the frauds spoon feeding BS to angry republicans.

Calypso
Calypso
4 years ago

“…from the pits of HELL.”

The Eiger (aka the NEOCON Hack)
The Eiger (aka the NEOCON Hack)
Reply to  Calypso

I don’t understand why the good doctor doesn’t go back to practicing medicine. That’s an option for him right…………?

Calypso
Calypso
4 years ago

I’m not sure. I heard his business has fallen off since he segregated his waiting room in half. Apparently one area is “For Creationists Only” and the other is “For Those Doomed to Hell”.

Noway2016
Noway2016
Reply to  gcp

Why doesn’t he just challenge Hice and get his old seat back?

The Eiger (aka the NEOCON Hack)
The Eiger (aka the NEOCON Hack)
Reply to  Noway2016

I would say the main reason is the 10th district has changed with redistricting. If you look at the district when Broun first won it a lot of his support came from counties like Towns, Rabun, Hart, Franklin, Banks, Jackson, and Stephens. All of these counties are now in Doug Collins’s 9th district. So Broun feels that those counties will help him beat Doug. I doubt it will work but Doug already has three challengers so this could be a tough race.

Noway2016
Noway2016
4 years ago

Thanks for the explanation! Makes sense.

gcp
gcp
Reply to  Noway2016

Because there is serious dissatisfaction with Collins. While the ire is deep it’s not known if it is wide. There are two announced challengers in the race currently and Braun’s candidacy would likely cause a primary runoff.

Folks are upset because of Collins perceived inaction on Planned Parenthood and his votes for the late 2015 tax and budget bills. Also Collins had a bad interview on a local radio station recently and they are hitting him hard.

Broun’s decision to run likely depends on his ability to access the money needed to run a campaign.

Noway2016
Noway2016
Reply to  gcp

G, are there any levels of dissatisfaction with Hice? Has he drawn any challengers?

gcp
gcp
Reply to  Noway2016

Don’t know if Hice will have primary opposition but folks that voted for him in 2014 seem to be ok with his performance.

Reply to  gcp

I didn’t vote for Hice and can’t think of circumstances where I ever would vote for him but after 8 years of Broun he comes across as Henry Clay. He still has extreme views and I’d be shocked if he ever makes a legislative dent but he’s not unhinged and he doesn’t fret that his name isn’t in the news all the time. Maybe that’s not much but believe me, it’s plenty.

chefdavid
chefdavid
Noway2016
Noway2016
4 years ago

The guy that set up Hill’s private server has been given immunity….Where did I put the Jiffy Pop?

Saltycracker
Saltycracker
Reply to  Noway2016

Was just dropping down here to post your dreams are closer to reality – is it too late for Romney to switch teams and we elect him as a Demo ?

Saltycracker
Saltycracker
4 years ago

tonight Kasich needs to go away, Cruz and Rubio don’t need to chase trump into the gutter calling him a small handed KKK sympathizer (it didnt work wth O and wright) and stay to differentiate themselves on the issues