Melton’s new order will continue the suspension of all criminal and civil jury trials through June 12 and also bars courts from summoning and impaneling new trial and grand juries. He said the suspensions are necessary because of the need for recommended social distancing and to protect the health of large groups of people who are typically assembled in response to jury summonses.
Melton said he was extending the state judicial emergency because, “The courts are different from most private establishments and public places in that we compel people to attend court proceedings, and that requires us to be extra cautious.”
This is very problematic for anyone in need of any type of document, especially in rural areas where records have not been made available online.
Melton will sign the official order later this week, but in the mean time, courts will continue to conduct essential services and use technology to conduct remote proceedings.
GeorgiaCarry.org took to social media after the announcement by Melton Monday, blasting Governor Kemp for the continued refusal to deem Weapons Carry Licenses ‘essential services’ in the state. The group lost a lawsuit last month after a judge refused to suspend a Georgia law that requires people to have a license to carry a handgun.