Morning Reads – Wednesday, September 4, 2019

8 months ago

I second the recommendation of the Georgia/Hollywood story for its look at how people who work and live in Georgia have been affected by the ruckus over the heartbeat abortion bill.

There’s also a clear explanation of how fully the state is involved in picking up production costs. Spend more than $500K, get a 20 percent tax break. Stick a peach logo in the credits, get another 10 percent and maybe grab another 10 percent on local subsidies. Roll’em.

From The Ringer of all places.

8 months ago

otoh, the Dahlonega article is reactionary crap. imo, of course.

8 months ago

Analysis: Conservatives Criticize Trump, but Softly, in Code

“In a fight between crassness and discretion in the new millennium, crassness will win every time.”

“It took a long time for congressional leaders for the Republican Party to see the damage [of McCarthy and Nixon] to their party and step in.”

“Republicans will not do it while they think there are still gains to be made through the Trump presidency.”

chefdavid
chefdavid
8 months ago

Georgia’s road for the rich set another record. https://www.ajc.com/news/traffic/new-record-toll-rate-set-express-lanes-gwinnett-county/ypLEuMky2B8CF2phdJC1DO/ Is their a program that allows lower income folks to qualify for passes?

8 months ago

And I just got a text my power is out already… Before 12:45. 15 mins after they locked down the Islands and Thunderbolt bridges,

I type this from my makeshift ‘office’ in the hotel I’m staying at 200 miles away.

chefdavid
chefdavid
8 months ago

I love American jurisprudence. Lawyers Seek $5.6M in Legal Fees From State It’s all about the benjamins.

8 months ago
8 months ago

Wind map is interesting too:

8 months ago

Cool map. I wonder what determines the cities identified on the map. There doesn’t seem to be any connecting traits, other than they be mid-size or larger.