Morning Reads – Wednesday, February 27, 2018

Today’s Morning Reads are brought to you by Oban 18. Good luck.

RIP Mickey Channel:

Speaker David Ralston issued the following statement on the passing of former State Representative Mickey Channell:

“Mickey Channell was the kind of man you felt lucky to know. Whether serving on the board of commissioners or the board of education in Greene County or chairing the House Ways & Means Committee, Mickey was always busy working for a brighter tomorrow for all Georgians, particularly children.  He was the champion of the legislation that would provide healthcare for some 200,000 children through PeachCare for Kids.

“I am proud to have known Mickey and been able to call him both my colleague and my friend.  The entire House mourns his passing and our prayers go out to his family during this difficult time.”

—Speaker David Ralston (R-Blue Ridge)

1 year ago

Malignant narcissistic personality disordered Trump meeting with a paranoid Rocket Man at a time when Trump more than ever needs attention diverted from his serial lying and low character doesn’t bode well for a good deal.

Reply to  TheDeepDark

I concede the name-calling was unnecessary (but I’m only doing what Trump did when referring to Kim as Rocket Man) in making a point connecting together what will be the two political stories of the week, at minimum..

Will Durant
Will Durant
1 year ago

Are MRs “open” threads or not?

Will Durant
Will Durant
Reply to  TheDeepDark

“Please explain why you felt you needed add this comment, considering there are multiple things in the above post to comment on.”

Just wanting to know whether we could color outside the lines or not. It appeared you were addressing staying on the topics in the post and without the clarification I had no idea you were discussing the comment’s cordiality, or not.

Sometimes the MRs bring up the topic of the day, sometimes more obscure and Georgia related items, and this is why I read them personally. I still want the freedom to bring up the others however.

Nina
Nina
1 year ago

Link to article on cliff effect goes to article on fishing.

Gregs
Gregs
Reply to  TheDeepDark

I liked the story about the bass fisherman. You should have left it up. Nothing like a good fish tale. My fish is bigger than your fish and you shouldda seen the one that got away!

Nina
Nina
Reply to  TheDeepDark

Thank you. I’m a divorce attorney in a fairly low socio-economic community so I see this problem at times in practice. It creates perverse incentives and behaviors that drag down generations. Would like to believe a gentle slope instead of a cliff could change that but in some dependency is hard-wired.

1 year ago

FYI, this is the Dem alternative (HB 433) to the voting machine bill being rammed through (HB316) despite warnings from all experts:

chilidawg1971
chilidawg1971
1 year ago

The Rat just hit with another criminal referral. Guy can’t seem to catch a break. The Al Bundy of congressional testimony.
From Mark Meadows:
“I just entered a referral for criminal investigation of Michael Cohen, who violated the Foreign Agents Registration Act by illegally lobbying on behalf of foreign entities without registering. Cohen talks about “blind loyalty.” His real blind loyalty? It’s to the almighty dollar.”

Gregs
Gregs
Reply to  chilidawg1971

The Cohen hearing, like everything else, fell along partisan fissures. This is unfortunate because both points made today could be true. Cohen could be a terrible human being who shouldn’t be believed and the same could be true of the president.

One things for sure, there was no search for the truth today.

bethebalance
bethebalance
Reply to  chilidawg1971

C-Dawg’s style sounds familiar…

Will Durant
Will Durant
Reply to  bethebalance

No way.

Mr. Bear
Mr. Bear
1 year ago

RE: The notion that there should be wide open free speech on GeorgiaPol, and any other site, too. I think that it is pretty safe to say that most of those who read these pages have well developed beliefs. Maybe wrong ones, but that’s a relative term. And they’re welcome to harbor those beliefs, right or wrong. But where things go awry is when character and volume of those beliefs goes up the Richter scale. And the anonymous environment of these comments lends itself to invective. A lot of it on the level of “Tastes Great.” “Less Filling”. (and you… Read more »

O_O
O_O
1 year ago

I guess I was lucky that foreign language was a requirement through my entire public education. I feel kinda ignorant never realizing that other districts didn’t have that same opportunity. It’s not like I’m fluent or anything now but I can read your standard fifth grade Spanish writing, maybe that’s beneficial?

While English is the lingua franca of business, science, diplomacy and aviation, I don’t think a lot of people see an imperative to learn other languages while they’re young.