Morning Reads for Wednesday, October 17

Commenters, Lurkers, and Trolls,

First of all, thank you for your continued support over the last few years of GeorgiaPol. We have seen some pretty interesting things happen in Georgia politics and on the federal level. We also are now approaching three million unique views and 40,000 comments.

We have tried to put out a good mix of news and opinion to help drive discussion about what is happening across the state. Recently some of that news content has not been up to the quality that you should expect from us. We are not a site that lives and dies off clicks. We sell no ads. We make no money. Our authors only reap whatever legitimacy they create using this medium. This site’s legitimacy comes from our contributors’ ability to speak with authority about what they write.

Yesterday an article from an online technology site was basically copy/pasted by one of our contributors concerning voter registration data being sold on a forum that cater to “hackers”. The first line of this contributor’s post asked a question about the value of the registration data. A simple Google search would have turned up that you can indeed purchase the same list from the Georgia Secretary of State’s site for what the “hacker” is selling it for. A little bit more research would have turned up that you can get voter history, as well as current absentee ballot requests from the site, for free. Not only did the author of the article not do any research, neither did our contributor. I believe in legal terms it would be kin to ‘fruit of the poison vine”. This is not how legitimacy is earned.

Also, the comments section has become a little rough. We are going to ask everyone to calm down a bit and bring back a modicum of decorum. If you don’t, we will do it through the use of administrative moderation. We’d like not to have to get to that, but we will if we need to.

Consider this a thread to tell us what you would like to see more or less of here at GeorgiaPol.

Thank you.

Lawton Sack
Admin
Lawton Sack
1 year ago

First, thank you for your input. A. Just a reminder that we are all volunteers here and not full-time journalists (well, except for one of us). Just about all of us have jobs that require more than 40 hours a week + a commute for most. We try to hit the major points of Georgia politics here and give people a chance to discuss it. I post more press releases here than all of the other contributors combined, so I can say that this will be taken into consideration. I am on at least 50 mailing lists for candidates and… Read more »

Reply to  Lawton Sack

Lawton, I understand that putting together MRs takes time and effort. For the most part I think the result is fine. Maybe you could consider farming some of the work out to regular posters and no, I’m not volunteering. We have some experienced and informed people here and some of them might be willing to help start the day with interesting reads.

chefdavid
chefdavid
Reply to  Lawton Sack

I like the press releases.

1 year ago

Speak for yourself. I personally look forward to Ed’s analysis of any of Florida Man’s adventures. So TDD believes the comments are ‘a little rough’. Nice of you to pay attention. The comments have been shit since you guys let the Trumpistas have full swaggering sway with pejoratives, insults, misstatements of fact, and out-and-out lies, many of which repeated ad nauseam. For the record, I haven’t always been blameless, although I never called anyone a horse-faced sniveller who runs a sex ring on the side. I’d support admins coming down hard on cut-and-paste posts, posts with links and no commentary,… Read more »

ScottNAtlanta
ScottNAtlanta
Reply to  TheDeepDark

If you want someone who writes original content (more along economic lines), I would be more than happy to contribute. I have written in other platforms and could provide samples of my writing. Let me know if you are interested. (and yes I know its for free)

Reply to  TheDeepDark

I’d be surprised if some of them didn’t share a common heartbeat. Coming down hard on socks would be an easy way to improve the board.

Sally Forth
Sally Forth
Reply to  TheDeepDark

Howl-lay-loo-yah! Thanks DD – contrary to some accusations by libs on here, you’ve obviously found that there is only one me. The world couldn’t handle more than that. 🙂

Teri
Teri
1 year ago

Hey Deep, can you write a snippet of code that will replace every multiple explanation point in the comments with a snowflake emoji? Kthx Lawton is spot on with his explanation of curating the morning reads. I typically email myself links throughout the week, and then on Monday afternoon I’ll compile my post. Like most of the posters here, I make it a point to check the dailies from around the state (AJC, Savannah Morning News, Columbus Ledger Enquirer, Macon Telegraph, Brunswick News, Valdosta Daily Times, Athens Banner Herald…) plus other major GA news sources, like WABE and GPB, The… Read more »

I like blizzards

ScottNAtlanta
ScottNAtlanta
Reply to  TheDeepDark

I love DQ Blizzards! (Steak and Shake Milkshakes are a close second)

Reply to  TheDeepDark

As a Dairy snob; nope to either. Both use ice milk, not ice cream or custard.

ScottNAtlanta
ScottNAtlanta
Reply to  TheDeepDark

…and where would one go to satisfy a “dairy snob”?

Sally Forth
Sally Forth
Reply to  TheDeepDark

I’ll throw in Jeni’s – it’s real ice cream made from the basics.

chefdavid
chefdavid
Reply to  Teri

Less links that are behind paywalls. There is nothing more frustrating than clicking on a link that you can’t get to. I am not naming you out specifically I am just saying this in general.

chamblee54
chamblee54
1 year ago

One improvement you could make to the morning read links: Add a note showing if the link is from the AJC or New York Times. These portals have strict paywalls. Often, I will carelessly click on a link, and see that one of my four monthly free views has been wasted. I know that if you hover over the link with your mouse, that the source of the link will appear. However, I do not always think of this.

ScottNAtlanta
ScottNAtlanta
Reply to  chamblee54

I have a hint for you…clear your cookies and history every time you close your browser, and as if a miracle has happened…you get reset to zero. I could read the entire NY Times that way if I wanted to

chamblee54
chamblee54
Reply to  ScottNAtlanta

Thank you. I did that for one browser, and it seems to work.

chamblee54
chamblee54
1 year ago

Just say paywall after the link. I don’t always remember to check.

1 year ago

I appreciate the MRs and it remains the #1 reason I can’t quit this site. No issues, just thanks. The #2 reason is because there is often comments that bring lots of expertise and info, along with professional opinions. Weighing against all that good is every useless insult and every pejorative, whether aimed at liberals or conservatives, women, political figures, etc. The political environment nowadays is so toxic and full of insults that it’s hard to discuss politics without at least referencing the insults, But— we can raise the bar, and at least eliminate the use of insults that are… Read more »

Reply to  bethebalance

Also, if there was any way to stop the repeating of the same rants or rhetoric, over and over again, I’d be happy to support any solution. Develop detail and nuance. Broken records need to be removed from the turntable.

Reply to  bethebalance

“but for the former “The Hag” stands out when referring to Hillary”.
Ahhh, and just so I’m clear, I’m assuming you will want a cessation of any “Nazi” or “Racist” reference with regards to Trump, right?

Reply to  Noway2016

I think if you use a word like that, you have to state your reasons.
You are also free to justify your use of the word Hag, but that could either be you think she has a bad temperament, or you think she’s ugly. Either way, the justification may at least have some potential value, as opposed to an empty insult, which is just bullying.

Reply to  bethebalance

Nice dodge. So, insults to me and DTM or Sally calling us racists or nazis or lovers of pedophiles, which are ridiculous on their face, are ok, as are those same insults hurled at Trump? I’ll ask again, do terms like racist and nazi whether hurled at the prez or at posters here, need to be stopped or not? Simple question. Give me a one word answer. Because if the answer is “no” and you back it up with a “freedom of speech” kind of thing, then what is happening here is an attempt by the lib posters to suppress… Read more »

Reply to  Noway2016

Again, any insult should be explained. If I say you sympathize with pedophiles because you supported Roy Moore, that’s a reason. I think it’s more valuable to say the explanation because it also makes your choice clear. Calling you a pedophile directly is useless. Same with any insult. Provide the explanation.
Not trying to dodge, so if you need further clarity, I’ll try.

Chatsprint
Chatsprint
Reply to  Noway2016

“Going forward, please outline what words will be looked on disapprovingly…”

“Noway2016” ?

Reply to  Noway2016

I absolutely supported Moore and I did say I was suspicious of the timing of the allegations. But when More info came out that lended credence to his being a creep, I said as much. I wonder why that part of my postings is never ackowledged? Hmmm? Cause it doesn’t fit the narrative of a cheap shot. Now, can you address the rest of my comment?

Reply to  Noway2016

Unsure of what you’re asking me to still clarify.

chamblee54
chamblee54
Reply to  Noway2016

The use of racist should be discouraged.

Reply to  Noway2016

I think racism has to be called out when it is exposed. I think it’s true that a lot of people don’t realize they have said or done something that is racist, but that’s all the more reason to point it out. For quite a while here I tried to be civil and relatively gentle in pointing out what I saw as racist comments (and others have too), but generally the responses are angry tirades and retaliatory attacks- not any thoughtful discussion, so it just devolves from there. Once the history is established it would take some sort of reset… Read more »

Reply to  Noway2016

“The use of ‘racist’ should be discouraged.”

No, don’t try to suppress and discourage discussion. But it’s simple- explain your use of the word, get into the weeds about it. Encourage a more detailed and productive discussion.

1 year ago

I don’t mind the press releases either.
Also, I wish there were a way to ‘moderate’ posts that were nothing but insults, but I am not sure how you would define that let alone enforce it.
MR’s are just going to be a mess I suspect.
It’s probably complicated but maybe an alert system, so if somebody gets x amount of alerts on a comment it gets deleted and x amount of deletes gets a time out, or something.

Reply to  TheDeepDark

Well maybe as long as everybody only gets one vote per comment it might be an improvement.

Reply to  TheDeepDark

If it’s curated I would read those.

Reply to  TheDeepDark

I believe, back in the day at PP, you guys had a plus or minus kind of thing that could apply to each post. With regard to having someone scan each post before letting it appear, that would take an awful lot of time for someone that wasn’t getting compensated for their time. Obviously, totally up to you on the admin side.

Reply to  Noway2016

Does seem like a ton of work, and it would be thankless, and I think many would wind up complaining about censorship. I would rather have a moderator make public comments, even simple ones, about comments where necessary. So if a moderator sees something, any need or opportunity for improvement, then they can say something like “Please add link” or “Please eliminate repetitive material” or “Please refrain from using insults without basis”. Just nudging people to raise the bar whenever an opportunity presents itself.

Welcome to our world.

Reply to  TheDeepDark

I’m going to do you a favor and not answer that truthfully.

Sally Forth
Sally Forth
Reply to  TheDeepDark

DD, I don’t have that happen, to my knowledge. But my continuing problem is that the place for me to check to receive reply notifications has disappeared from the “Add a Comment” function.
Can you please fix that for me, so that I will know when someone responds to one of my posts? For the last few months I’ve been a blind hog rooting for an acorn, only realize anyone has responded if I spot it in a scroll of a complete thread.

Reply to  Noway2016

There is probably some level that would work though (assuming the platform is sophisticated enough). So maybe a comment doesn’t get deleted until it gets 20 -‘s. Or maybe it doesn’t get deleted at all, just an alert is sent to Charlie for review (especially in the middle of the night).
If nothing ever gets punished at 20 -‘s, make it 15.

Reply to  Noway2016

Yeah, I cannot for the world of me, imagine that happening to one of my posts!

downthemiddle
downthemiddle
Reply to  Noway2016

Andrew you and maybe one other are the most spiteful here. Wishing death upon folks on many occasions!

Gregs
Gregs
1 year ago

Consider eliminating pseudonyms. Anonymity emboldens contempt and removes all restraints on decorum. I’m all for everyone reregistering and proving more information on the front end rather trying enforce “rules” on the backend.

Reply to  TheDeepDark

Yeah, I don’t want my politics to be an issue if a potential employer googles me.

Gregs
Gregs
Reply to  TheDeepDark

How about you knowing the real identity but allowing the poster to conceal it from the political police?

Gregs
Gregs
Reply to  TheDeepDark

Then the issue is not having the resources to police the adults who post here? I don’t know the answer because this is a problem that’s bigger than this blog. Its happening everywhere as we devolve as a society into tribes. Ben Sasse just wrote a book about it. I intend to buy and read it.

NoParty4Me
NoParty4Me
Reply to  Gregs

I’ve been threatened with legal action, and worse, for asking candidates and elected officials to obey the law. I’ll keep the anonymity, thank you very much.

Reply to  Gregs

Me too. I own a business and prefer not to mix my politics with that. If I did I would own a gay bakery or something.

By the way, for anyone who doesn’t know, my screen name is a name that Benjamin Franklin used in order to write letters to the newspapers anonymously, presumably so that his comments wouldn’t be prejudiced by his well-known name.

Sally Forth
Sally Forth
1 year ago

DD, for the umpteenth time, can you guys do me a solid and PLEZ fix my “Add Comment” function so it shows the box to check for notification of responses — and so that I actually get a notification of a response? I used to get them, but for some reason that functionality disappeared.

I’ve had folks get mad because I don’t reply to things that I don’t even know exist, which makes my being courteous a bit tricky.

Sally Forth
Sally Forth
Reply to  TheDeepDark

Thank you, oh techno guru. If it’s any help to you, I get the bell pop-up that says “You’re subscribed to notifications” from GaPol. Just don’t have any functionality re posts.

NoParty4Me
NoParty4Me
1 year ago

See yesterday’s post, “Why I’m Voting NO on Georgia’s Amendment 4 – Marsy’s Law”. Anyone nostalgic for the good old days of PP where we actually discussed ideas and sought opinions from our fellow readers? It was there, in full glory. You’ll find an amazing amount of sharing and civility with nary a political pejorative.

Will Durant
Will Durant
1 year ago

Pretty much everything xdog said. Lawton mentioned the quantity of comments to MRs, but that in conjunction with the lack of quality in most of those comments has left them mostly useless. I know Charlie at one time banned one or two for exceptional rudeness, perhaps that could get more civility from all? I’m sure I’m not the only one that associates the overt misogyny with the dearth of female participants. For example making up nicknames like “Butterface” for a person using a female name to comment. In my own opinion, sock puppets should automatically be banned when they can… Read more »

Will Durant
Will Durant
Reply to  Will Durant

“sock puppets” and their creators should be banned.

Reply to  Will Durant

It’s true we don’t thank the contributors enough– so thanks again to all who compile, analyze, and post the MRs and other good stories. As for: “Links should have a true context attached, not simply a “this will get y’all’s goat” barb”. That’s a tough one, because while this site doesn’t financially benefit from click-throughs, making up those barbs is a modern art. Sure. folks could change style, but when I was in a game a few years back, the entirety of the practice was baiting that click. It may be tough to adjust to a new (probably more boring)… Read more »

Reply to  bethebalance

Right. A comment/link like that is only intended to antagonize. But how do you define that? What rule would you use?

I think a community based “jury” has more potential. You just have to figure out the right parameters. If ‘x’ percentage of the community feels like this doesn’t meet community standards then so be it.
Free market! Democracy!

Reply to  bethebalance

Sure, adding context is good.
But I would also take one link without any context over the seemingly infinite cut-and-paste rants that have neither a link nor a point.

Reply to  bethebalance

So it sounds like it’s the antagonism that’s the real thing that bugs y’all. I get it, although I think the solution is to just ignore the childish approaches. If the link has value (and does not lead you to either malware or a Russian propaganda site), reasonable discussion can still follow.

Reply to  bethebalance

Ok. Let me just make an observation. Humorously, if I may. I am going to continue to point out what I find as hypocrisy between how things are handled by Dems and Repubs. I do so by linking actual published stories, whether they be by Fox or whatever the source. I see them. I link them. Even my opponents can truthfully acknowledge double standards exist between the right or left. It seems this whole complaint meme the last couple of days centers around my signature phase that Drew wrote in his post above. Is it obnoxious? Yes. But I use… Read more »

Reply to  bethebalance

OK Noway. When you do include a link to something, that in itself is not the problem. What usually happens then is that someone points out how whatever you linked to is BS, but you ignore it. You drop the link like a turd and walk away. You don’t care to discuss or defend it. I think there are many here that would welcome engaging with you on topics, but you are the one that declines.

This whole conversation is about whether this place is a place for actual discussion or just a repository for personal chest-thumping.

Reply to  bethebalance

BS sez you…Who says my posted stories are innacurate? Answer: Those that don’t like what’s in them. 90% of the time my linked stories show blatant hypocrisy that makes your side look bad. I don’t make up the content. And you see negative stories and you get steamed.

I made the effort…
You and yours simply don’t like the content. That’s your issue, not mine.

Reply to  bethebalance

Keep on shooting those messengers, boys!

Reply to  bethebalance

Not entirely. I don’t challenge their news sources.
I post articles that show the Democrat Party doing negative things as I define them. They cannot stand it and appeal to moderators such as yourself to put a stop to it.
As a moderator, if you want me to stop my posting of controversial stories relating to the Dems just tell me not to and I’ll stop.

Reply to  bethebalance

I think one thing any curator of digital media must be concerned with nowadays is truly fake news or propaganda. It may be that links to RT, or zerohedge (I don’t actually know their deal) get flagged for review, or otherwise given a red flag somehow.
Probably a little ironic not ironic to give RT links a “red” flag.

Reply to  bethebalance

Hypocrisy is low hanging fruit. OK fine, comment on it, link to it, but do it without all the insults and references to 3 or 4 decades ago.

And if you offer a comment/link, expect to respond to it if challenged. I’m sure if I had a little time I could find 10 links from dubious sources that are false stories. And even if they aren’t, if someone challenges them, engage and defend it. That’s why we (some of us) are here.

1 year ago

“I’ve never seen you accept Bill Clinton’s denials with regard to the women he’s alleged to have sexually assaulted…”
LOL! Dang, Drew…
Like, “I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewisnsky. Not a single time…”
You mean like THAT denial?? Good Lord!! Find a better example!

Reply to  Noway2016

Here’s a couple of your comments from one thread:
Noway2016
“The Great Man. Las Vegas. 10pm. Watch and see what’s waiting on The Weenies on Election Day! MAGA!”

Noway2016
“She does look like the famously limp Terry Keiser in Weekend at Bernies’. Although I’d rename a remake. I’d call it Hefting The Hag!”

Massive lines!!! November Motivation!!!
AWWWW NAWWWWW!!!!!

1 year ago

I think if you could remove the name-calling and add factual detail, the cheerleading is otherwise fine.

1 year ago

You folks need to lighten up!
If my side can be called “Deplorables” by your very own, actual 2016 Standard Bearer and “Dregs of Society” by your very own 2020 wannabe Standard Bearer, we can dish out some , too!

Reply to  Noway2016

That’s the thing, Noway. No one on this site is using those names, and if they do, they should be challenged to justify it. The assumption that because one politician who belongs to a party that I vote for more often than not uses a word or phrase thus means that I believe in that word or phrase, or moreover- that I should be insulted for it- is a toxic assumption. Instead of calling names, you could ask– Do you guys believe we’re all Deplorable? Truthfully, sometimes you do ask questions like that. But it’s inevitably linked to that assumption.… Read more »

downthemiddle
downthemiddle
1 year ago

Darn those are pretty funny Benev…not a single Nazi Pegophile Racist rant at all. That conservatives get bore hogged with from folks on a daily basis. And Weekend at Bernie’s is a hilarious movie!

1 year ago

I think it’s also good to point out that this moderated discussion on process has been necessary for a while, and is important to the long-term health and sustainability of this blog. I’m hopeful.

chamblee54
chamblee54
1 year ago

Maybe the addition of a like button, or a thumbs up/thumbs down. Sometimes I agree with a comment, but don’t have anything important to add to the conversation. Maybe this would eliminate some of the obnoxious comments, if people had the option to express approval/disapproval without saying anything.

MattMD_actual
MattMD_actual
1 year ago

I’m a little late here because I work a lot and I don’t spend my free time arguing with obvious idiots. One thing I’d do DeepDark, is just straight up ban the poster DownTheMiddle. He contributes nothing and thread jacks many a post. Failing that, I would just enforce the rule that posters should keep threads on topic save a MR or an open thread. That would end in the same result. I am somewhat surprised that multiple fonts from one IP are not automatically IP-banned. Short of that, at least expose that kind of nonsense by telling us who… Read more »

MattMD_actual
MattMD_actual
Reply to  TheDeepDark

Nice dodge on my comment regarding thread jacking. I’ll admit that “contributing nothing” is very subjective but thread jacking is not.

Do you let the trolls bait people because you’re a conservative?

Cloudflare does hide a lot of extremists, I’ll give you that. It’s telling that you think it might be even remotely common around here.

downthemiddle
downthemiddle
Reply to  MattMD_actual

Hey Matt, are they still letting you post? Why don’t you post a few more under the fake Noway and Down the Middle names?

MattMD_actual
MattMD_actual
Reply to  downthemiddle

Honestly, that wasn’t me. I don’t have time for that nonsense.

You still want to meet at Myrtle’s sometime?

Reply to  MattMD_actual

Matt, let me save you from yourself. DTM has posted in the wrythread before. I assume in most of those cases he was unaware of the posting requirements. The other times, I would chalk it up to an unintended mistake.

downthemiddle
downthemiddle
Reply to  Noway2016

I have no idea what threadjacking is. I try to honestly reply. I do not post under fake names. I simply tell it like I see it. Like it or not.

I don’t have time to waste hating on people or posting under fake names but I will call BS when I see it. And it is rampant. I am notb trying to hurt anyone, like adding some humor at times but hate politically correct baloney.

MattMD_actual
MattMD_actual
1 year ago

See, if you bring up Hillary or the Clintons or Obama when that thread has nothing to do with it, that is a jack.

I know we all live in Cobb. I live very close to Sope Creek. Name a restaurant or bar. I am off next weekend (GA/FL).