Southeast Georgia Still Assessing, Recovery Beginning

As I wrote Saturday, the real impact of a hurricane is generally felt after the weather dudes that like to show us pictures of trees blowing in the wind leave town. It’s not an easy process to get all the people that evacuated en masse back home, especially when many of those homes are damaged, most don’t have power (including the gas stations to fuel the cars upon return), and some places are still under water (note that in North Carolina many rivers haven’t even crested yet.).

Congressman Buddy Carter is sending out regular updates with reference materials for people to call for help. In the interim, remember that a large number of Georgians (along with Floridians and Carolinians) are still somewhat displace, without power, and/or in need of some assistance. Keep your eyes and ears open for an opportunity to help.

The update from Congressman Carter is as follows:

Friends and Neighbors,

As Hurricane Matthew response efforts continue, I want to share updated information important for the days ahead. Please share the information with your family and friends who may find it useful.

Important Numbers
For information regarding conditions and services in local areas, contact your local emergency management agency:

Bryan: (912) 858-2799
Camden: (912) 729-5602
Chatham: (912) 644-8811
Glynn: (912) 554-7826
Liberty: (912) 368-2201

If you need assistance or have questions about Hurricane Matthew, call 1-800-TRY-GEMA (1-800-879-4362) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

For medical or health related questions, call 1-866-PUB-HLTH (1-866-782-4584).

If you are in immediate danger call 911, but please reserve 911 for emergencies only.

Reentry and Local Status

For continued updates on reentry and the status of your area visit:

Chatham County Emergency Information

Glynn County Emergency Information

Georgia Emergency Management Information

Veterans Facilities

Up-to-date information about the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs facilities can be found here.

Power Outages

Visit to sign up for outage alerts and report and check the status of outages. You can also call 888-891-0938 24 hours a day to report and check the status of an outage.

Traffic and Roadway Conditions

Visit or call 511 for the latest information on roadway conditions or to report flooding, road, or bridge damage.


The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is encouraging producers with crops insured under the federal crop insurance program to immediately contact their local crop insurance agent to report any damage to insured crops after the storm.

For assistance with Rural Development financed housing, business or community assistance information, and to get help from the National Resources Conservation Service for debris removal click here.

Livestock and pet guidance is available here.

Additional information about USDA’s disaster assistance is available here.

Unaccompanied Minors

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) activated its Unaccompanied Minors Registry (UMR). Family members can go to or call 1-800-THE-LOST to find unaccompanied children who may have been separated from parents or caregivers because of the storm.


The American Red Cross continues supporting shelter operations. For Hurricane Matthew shelter locations, visit or call 1-800-768-8048.

Blood and Platelet Donations

The American Red Cross has an urgent need for blood and platelet donations as Hurricane Matthew has forced the cancellation of many blood drives. Residents who are in an unaffected area are encouraged to give blood or platelets to help patients in the affected areas with great need. Go to or call 1-800-RED-CROSS.


Anyone in the impacted areas looking to help or assist with response and recovery efforts can get involved by contacting their American Red Cross chapter or their local Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (VOAD) chapter to connect to many organizations working on the ground that are in need of volunteers. To get in touch with your local VOAD, click here.

Flood Insurance

If you have flood insurance through FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and your property suffered flood damage, contact your local insurance agency or company to file a flood insurance claim. Find your insurance company’s toll-free phone number here.

Anyone with additional questions about filing a claim or their NFIP policy can call the FEMA helpline at 800-621-3362 and press option “2.”

As always, my staff and I are here for you in what ever capacity you may need. Please do not hesitate to contact us.


Add a Comment