Morning Reads for Tuesday, March 3

Good morning! It’s Day 2 of Qualifying.

3 months ago

I am thinking many of the people who voted early are wishing we used Ranked Choice Voting right about now.

3 months ago

More than 4M have voted early in California, according to reports, and 800K or so for Buttigieg, Klobuchar and Steyer.

I’m not opposed to RCV but first I’d look at restricting early voting. EV is necessary in many cases but in too many others the effect is to diminish the idea of voting. Election day should mean something.

3 months ago
Reply to  xdog

Not opposed to that, but in return election day should be a holiday.

chefdavid
chefdavid
3 months ago

California Gov. Jerry Brown Jr., former mayor in Oakland, vetoed a bill to expand ranked-choice voting.

“In a time when we want to encourage voter participation, we need to keep voting simple. Ranked choice voting is overly complicated and confusing,” Brown said in his veto message. “I believe it deprives voters of genuinely informed choice.”

3 months ago
Reply to  chefdavid

It’s too complicated to list your candidates in order of preference?

drjay
drjay
3 months ago

i’m not sure how a woman who didn’t vote for trump in 16, is a key to his being reelected in 20…her very nature seems very different than the rest of the folks in columbia county that gave trump like 70% of the vote last time…

alpha male
alpha male
3 months ago
Reply to  drjay

That is a ridiculous article but not unexpected from the Wapo ,or to be posted here by this particular diarist.

Trump will probably not only win 70% in Columbia County, but I bet he wins over 70% of the white female vote in Columbia County.

3 months ago

I was looking at the AJC’s photos of election qualifiers, and imo the first one of Kemp ‘introducing’ Loeffler is not a good look for the Senator. It reminded me of a parent taking his kid to school. Even disregarding that impression it still seems like overkill for the Gov to make an appearance. If I were a Collins supporter, I might even be wondering if Kemp had to show Loeffler where to sign.