Morning Reads – Wednesday, September 4, 2019

10 months ago

I second the recommendation of the Georgia/Hollywood story for its look at how people who work and live in Georgia have been affected by the ruckus over the heartbeat abortion bill.

There’s also a clear explanation of how fully the state is involved in picking up production costs. Spend more than $500K, get a 20 percent tax break. Stick a peach logo in the credits, get another 10 percent and maybe grab another 10 percent on local subsidies. Roll’em.

From The Ringer of all places.

10 months ago

otoh, the Dahlonega article is reactionary crap. imo, of course.

10 months ago

Analysis: Conservatives Criticize Trump, but Softly, in Code

“In a fight between crassness and discretion in the new millennium, crassness will win every time.”

“It took a long time for congressional leaders for the Republican Party to see the damage [of McCarthy and Nixon] to their party and step in.”

“Republicans will not do it while they think there are still gains to be made through the Trump presidency.”

chefdavid
chefdavid
10 months ago

Georgia’s road for the rich set another record. https://www.ajc.com/news/traffic/new-record-toll-rate-set-express-lanes-gwinnett-county/ypLEuMky2B8CF2phdJC1DO/ Is their a program that allows lower income folks to qualify for passes?

10 months ago

And I just got a text my power is out already… Before 12:45. 15 mins after they locked down the Islands and Thunderbolt bridges,

I type this from my makeshift ‘office’ in the hotel I’m staying at 200 miles away.

chefdavid
chefdavid
10 months ago

I love American jurisprudence. Lawyers Seek $5.6M in Legal Fees From State It’s all about the benjamins.

10 months ago
10 months ago

Wind map is interesting too:

10 months ago

Cool map. I wonder what determines the cities identified on the map. There doesn’t seem to be any connecting traits, other than they be mid-size or larger.